20 Reasons your Preschooler should do Gymnastics
(That have Nothing to do with Learning Gymnastics)
What if Johnny never learns a cartwheel? Or how about if Janie never masters holding a handstand? Would there still be any value in putting your preschooler in a gymnastics class?
Yes, I say.
In addition to it being a lot of fun, here are twenty reasons your preschool aged child should do gymnastics that have nothing to do with learning gymnastics.
Harvard School of Education released their findings on their latest research project; and, they could have simply titled it “Why Your Kid Should do Gymnastics if You Want Them to Develop the Kind of Character That Helps Them Succeed at School.”
Hang in there girl, it will be hard…but you got this!
Gymnastics is hard. I know. But, I also know that is why you love it. The challenges gymnastics faces you with everyday in the gym are the reasons you show up to practice everyday. You “want” to get better. You “want” to make it to the next level. You “want” to be just like the “big girls” in the gym. But being successful in the sport of gymnastics takes a lot more than “wanting”.
Being successful in gymnastics takes a life consuming dedication to the sport. You may be having a hard day, week, or month in the gym right now but don’t give up on yourself or the sport that loves you just quite yet. You are a gymnast, that means you are currently training in one of the hardest sports in the world. You may not realize it right now, but this sport will teach you so many life lessons. You are a tenacious girl, with a fiery spirit who can out do all the boys in a pull-up contest on the playground any day. So here is my letter to you. Gymnast to gymnast, I know you can get through this…all you need is a little pep-talk.
We wish our Athletes all the best of luck as they head off to the Junior State Championships next weekend.
These girls are on a mission! Conquering the Townsville Winter Challenge, Hughenden Invitational and Mackay Regional Championships already this year.
How blessed we are to have such outstanding talent and commitment in the club!!
Good luck Eb and Abi on your journey. We wish you the best of adventures and wish you well in celebrating your personal achievements!
Thanks to your personal sponsor 2PH Contracting who has supported you on your journey.
Just a reminder that Term 3 classes finish up on Wednesday the 19th September.
NWG will then be closed from Thursday the 20th September, reopening Tuesday the 2nd October.
North West Gymnastics August 2018 In-House Fun Competition
Sunday the 19th August
Nominations Closed: 11th August Read more “19th August 2018 NWG In House Competition”
North West Gymnastics
MOST POPULAR PROGRAMS
Of all the fantastic programs offered at North West Gymnastics these are our most popular.
- Early Movers (1.5-4yrs), A structured class for those building confidence with Parent Participation.
- Jungle Gym (0-4yrs), An Unstructured Open Play with Parent Participation.
- Activebods – Gym Fun (5-12yrs), A fun recreational class which uses all apparatus and equipment to build fitness and develop fundamental movement.
- Acro Foundations and Gym Skills (6-16yrs) – Our Acro class introduces acrobatic foundations, beginner tumbling and intermediate gym skills utilising all gym equipment. It targets the teaching of correct technique for acrobatic skills including Aerials, Walkovers, Cartwheels, Handsprings as well as partner and group balances and performance.
- Intermediate Acro, Tumbling and Aerials: Ideal for dance students to improve their floor maneuvers and dance specific tumbling skills. Complimentary for levels gymnastics.
- Aerials and Tumbling, An exciting new class for Experienced Dancers and Gymnasts focused on aerial silks, tumbling and trampoline.
- Advanced Acro and Tumbling, A structured class includes partner holds and displays, floor tumbling with development towards flicks, front and back saltos, handsprings, aerial cartwheels, walkovers. Great for X-gymnasts, current gymnasts or adults.
- Adults Gymnastics (16+ yrs), Classes structured to suit your request.
- Strength, Flexibility and Injury Prevention, With concepts flowing from some of the worlds top coaches and the conditioning and prehab exercises that they use in the Gymnastics and Dance space.
Visit Our Classes page for more information on our programs.
You can find our Class Timetable and Calendar here. Read more “Most Popular Programs”
North West Gymnastics is proud to support GMD Activewear Australia’s campaign to raise funds for Dolly’s Dream with the sale of the UNITED POWER MINI COLLECTION ✨
Available at the gym now ✨ Join us on our quest to conquer bullying in our community 💪🏼 unique items, designed in collaboration with @tahlia_gymstar & @melissapaigewu to promote positivity and unity 💙
Every United power item sold donates $10.00 toward Dolly’s Dream.
NWG have pre-ordered stock of:
Child Size 6 and 8: Power Singlet – Black: $30
Child Size 6 and 8: Girls Unite Sequin Crop Top: $34
Child Size 6 and 8: Harmony Shorts: $30
Great prices and a great cause!
See us at the gym or reserve yours here by commenting below. Our stocks are limited so get in quick.
NWG are simply picking up the postage costs for you to help support this great cause!
#dollysdreamfundraiser #speakevenifyourvoiceshakes #nwgmountisa #dollysdream #northwestgymnastics
Acro Foundations and Gym Skills
North West Gymnastics Acro Foundations and Gym Skills class introduces acrobatic foundations, beginner tumbling and intermediate gym skills utilising all gym equipment to develop strength requirements (and for a bit of fun!! beam, bars, floor and tramp, rings, parallel bars).
It targets the teaching of correct technique for acrobatic skills including Aerials, Walkovers, Cartwheels, Handsprings as well as partner and group balances and performance.
Our Coaches are accredited in both Acro Gymnastics and Acrobatic Arts programs as a compliment to our Women’s, Men’s and Tumbling Gymnastics accreditations. Read more “Acro Foundations and Gym Skills”
Work with one of our Advanced Tumbling and Acrobatics coaches to learn and refine Acrobatic and Tumbling skills.
With a structured program based on the QLD Acrobatic and Women’s Gymnastics program supplemented with content from the Acrobatic Arts syllabus covering:
- Introductory Tumbling Elements: Hurdles, Cartwheels and Round-offs
- Intermediate Tumbling Elements: Front and Back Handsprings (Flicks), Aerial Cartwheels.
- Advanced Tumbling: Salto’s and Twisting
- Introductory Gym Skills: Handstands, Bridges, Walkovers, Assisted Jumps
- Intermediate Acrobatic Skills: Pair and Trio Partner Holds/Stands, Throws and Catches.
This program is open to Advanced Dance Students with Gymnastics Backgrounds, X Gymnasts (Level 3+) and Adults. Prior Gymnastics Experience or skill execution is essential.
Intended age range for this program is 11 years to Adult.
Keen to trial one of our Gymnastics Classes?
North West Gymnastics offers try out classes to help you find a class that suits your child.
We work with parents, children and coaches to ensure that we are able to place your child in a class that matches their age, ability and will give them the best opportunity to have fun, develop friendships and challenge themselves.
Read more “Request a Trial Class”
😢 No Gym for a week 🤸🏼♀️
NWG will be closed from Thursday 23rd August and reopen Wednesday 29th August. We are off to the Junior Regional Championships.
If you see Ebony, Abi, Madi or Jas wish them luck as they head off to compete at the junior regional championships this weekend.
#northwestgymnastics Read more “Gym Closed 23rd August Reopening 29th August”
North West Gymnastics Term 3 2018 Class Enrolment is now open!!
Keen to try gymnastics? We have a heap of recreational and competitive classes on offer for all ages.
New and Existing members can now enrol online via our Class Enrolment page.
Term 3 2018 kicks off on Monday the 16th July and runs to Wednesday the 19th September.
North West Gymnastics wants your help to design our new club polo!!
We feel it’s about time for a change to our competition polo shirt for our competitive kids and we are looking to you to help us design our new competition polo.
You will still be able to use our existing shirts for competitions however over time we’ll look to phase them out.
To enter the competition simply submit your design using the attached template by the 1st of August 2018 to email@example.com.
Please provide as much detail as you can with your drawing regarding colours and patterns.
Template here: NWG 2018 Design Our Club Comp Polo Competition
We will then post the submissions for voting by you to help us decide on our club style.
The winner not only gets the blast from designing our new club shirt but will also receive a free Polo and other goodies.
Please note: We are not intending to change the club competition leotards or men’s clothing and hence the colours that you see on our club leo’s would likely be a good guide for the designs.
We Absolutely Love our gym families and to recognise your support North West Gymnastics are offering Family Discounts!!
5% OFF Term Fees for 2 students enroled in a total of 3 term classes or more,
5% OFF Term Fees for 3 students enroled in a total of 3 term classes,
10% OFF Term Fees for 3 or more students enroled in a total of 4 term classes or more.
All the info on the 2019 Competition Season for North West Gymnastics.
You can find our Competition Nomination and Uniform Order Form here.
2019 Competitions below:
- 4th – 5th May: Mareeba Invitational (Levels 1-6), Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts, Open to All Gymnasts. ***Proudly Supported by MIPAC***
NWG Nominations Closed 22nd March 2019
- 1st – 2nd June: Mackay Invitational (Levels 1-6) , Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts, Open to all Gymnasts. ***Proudly Supported by Ostojic***
NWG Nominations Close 1st May 2019
- 17th – 18th August: Junior Regionals (Mackay), Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts, Open to all Gymnasts. ***Proudly Supported by Ostojic***
- 24th – 25th August: Hughenden Invitational, Recommended for all Level 1-3 Gymnasts, Open to all Gymnasts
- 27th September – 1st October: Junior State Championships, (Qualification required) – WAG Clinic 2nd October
- 9th – 10th November: Tropical Townsville Invitational, Recommended for all Gymnasts.
Details on how to order Club Leotards and Attire yourself can be found on our page on Competition Leotards and Attire.
Competition Nominations are generally required 1 month ahead of competitions however please check the closing dates.
North West Gymnastics are excited to have teamed up with Tumble Star for great deals on their products.
We can’t wait for our new air track. It will be great to use for those developing skills such as handsprings for the kids.
Why not check out their range of products at:
NWG Working Bee Thursday 12th July to Sunday 15th July 2018.
Can you spare some time to assist us take the next step forwards with Gym Improvements? We would really appreciate any assistance.
- Improvements to the MAG (Men’s) Area.
- Relocation of the rings, P-Bars, Double Mini Tramp, Pommel, Buck and Mushroom.
- Installation of new floor matting in the MAG area.
- Installation of wall bars in the MAG area.
- Carpeting the Tramp Trick Wall.
- Installation of Space Savers on the Women’s High Bar
- Relocation of a TV for Parents Viewing
- Installation of new ropes
- Check and Replace the fasteners on the Men’s High Bars
- Complete the downstairs floor area cover matting.
- Downstairs Fencing
- Anyone who feels like a spot of painting is more than welcome to have a splash 🙂
All help welcome!
We will potentially also receive a new set of springs for the main sprung floor area. If these arrive in time (WOW) then the plan will be to see if we can get these installed. This is a huge and exciting job so please stay posted on delivery.