20 Reasons your Preschooler should do Gymnastics
(That have Nothing to do with Learning Gymnastics)
What if Johnny never learns a cartwheel? Or how about if Janie never masters holding a handstand? Would there still be any value in putting your preschooler in a gymnastics class?
Yes, I say.
In addition to it being a lot of fun, here are twenty reasons your preschool aged child should do gymnastics that have nothing to do with learning gymnastics.
Harvard School of Education released their findings on their latest research project; and, they could have simply titled it “Why Your Kid Should do Gymnastics if You Want Them to Develop the Kind of Character That Helps Them Succeed at School.”
Hang in there girl, it will be hard…but you got this!
Gymnastics is hard. I know. But, I also know that is why you love it. The challenges gymnastics faces you with everyday in the gym are the reasons you show up to practice everyday. You “want” to get better. You “want” to make it to the next level. You “want” to be just like the “big girls” in the gym. But being successful in the sport of gymnastics takes a lot more than “wanting”.
Being successful in gymnastics takes a life consuming dedication to the sport. You may be having a hard day, week, or month in the gym right now but don’t give up on yourself or the sport that loves you just quite yet. You are a gymnast, that means you are currently training in one of the hardest sports in the world. You may not realize it right now, but this sport will teach you so many life lessons. You are a tenacious girl, with a fiery spirit who can out do all the boys in a pull-up contest on the playground any day. So here is my letter to you. Gymnast to gymnast, I know you can get through this…all you need is a little pep-talk.
It has been said life is equal parts what happens to us and how we process what happens to us.
I think that is very true in gymnastics. The attitudes and beliefs that a gymnast has about herself and the sport will inevitably shape how long she participates, or at least how happy she is while she is involved.
North West Gymnastics
MOST POPULAR PROGRAMS
Of all the fantastic programs offered at North West Gymnastics these are our most popular.
- Early Movers (1.5-4yrs), A structured class for those building confidence with Parent Participation.
- Jungle Gym (0-4yrs), An Unstructured Open Play with Parent Participation.
- Activebods – Gym Fun (5-12yrs), A fun recreational class which uses all apparatus and equipment to build fitness and develop fundamental movement.
- Acro Foundations and Gym Skills (6-16yrs) – Our Acro class introduces acrobatic foundations, beginner tumbling and intermediate gym skills utilising all gym equipment. It targets the teaching of correct technique for acrobatic skills including Aerials, Walkovers, Cartwheels, Handsprings as well as partner and group balances and performance.
- Intermediate Acro, Tumbling and Aerials: Ideal for dance students to improve their floor maneuvers and dance specific tumbling skills. Complimentary for levels gymnastics.
- Aerials and Tumbling, An exciting new class for Experienced Dancers and Gymnasts focused on aerial silks, tumbling and trampoline.
- Advanced Acro and Tumbling, A structured class includes partner holds and displays, floor tumbling with development towards flicks, front and back saltos, handsprings, aerial cartwheels, walkovers. Great for X-gymnasts, current gymnasts or adults.
- Adults Gymnastics (16+ yrs), Classes structured to suit your request.
- Strength, Flexibility and Injury Prevention, With concepts flowing from some of the worlds top coaches and the conditioning and prehab exercises that they use in the Gymnastics and Dance space.
North West Gymnastics is proud to support GMD Activewear Australia’s campaign to raise funds for Dolly’s Dream with the sale of the UNITED POWER MINI COLLECTION ✨
Available at the gym now ✨ Join us on our quest to conquer bullying in our community 💪🏼 unique items, designed in collaboration with @tahlia_gymstar & @melissapaigewu to promote positivity and unity 💙
Every United power item sold donates $10.00 toward Dolly’s Dream.
NWG have pre-ordered stock of:
Child Size 6 and 8: Power Singlet – Black: $30
Child Size 6 and 8: Girls Unite Sequin Crop Top: $34
Child Size 6 and 8: Harmony Shorts: $30
Great prices and a great cause!
See us at the gym or reserve yours here by commenting below. Our stocks are limited so get in quick.
NWG are simply picking up the postage costs for you to help support this great cause!
#dollysdreamfundraiser #speakevenifyourvoiceshakes #nwgmountisa #dollysdream #northwestgymnastics
Acro Foundations and Gym Skills
North West Gymnastics Acro Foundations and Gym Skills class introduces acrobatic foundations, beginner tumbling and intermediate gym skills utilising all gym equipment to develop strength requirements (and for a bit of fun!! beam, bars, floor and tramp, rings, parallel bars).
It targets the teaching of correct technique for acrobatic skills including Aerials, Walkovers, Cartwheels, Handsprings as well as partner and group balances and performance.
Our Coaches are accredited in both Acro Gymnastics and Acrobatic Arts programs as a compliment to our Women’s, Men’s and Tumbling Gymnastics accreditations. Read more “Acro Foundations and Gym Skills”
Work with one of our Advanced Tumbling and Acrobatics coaches to learn and refine Acrobatic and Tumbling skills.
With a structured program based on the QLD Acrobatic and Women’s Gymnastics program supplemented with content from the Acrobatic Arts syllabus covering:
- Introductory Tumbling Elements: Hurdles, Cartwheels and Round-offs
- Intermediate Tumbling Elements: Front and Back Handsprings (Flicks), Aerial Cartwheels.
- Advanced Tumbling: Salto’s and Twisting
- Introductory Gym Skills: Handstands, Bridges, Walkovers, Assisted Jumps
- Intermediate Acrobatic Skills: Pair and Trio Partner Holds/Stands, Throws and Catches.
This program is open to Advanced Dance Students with Gymnastics Backgrounds, X Gymnasts (Level 3+) and Adults. Prior Gymnastics Experience or skill execution is essential.
Intended age range for this program is 11 years to Adult.
Keen to trial one of our Gymnastics Classes?
Request a Free Trial Class with North West Gymnastics.
North West Gymnastics offers try out classes to help you find a class that suits your child.
We work with parents, children and coaches to ensure that we are able to place your child in a class that matches their age, ability and will give them the best opportunity to have fun, develop friendships and challenge themselves. Read more “Request a Free Trial Class”
We Absolutely Love our gym families and to recognise your support North West Gymnastics are offering Family Discounts!!
5% OFF Term Fees for 2 students enroled in a total of 3 term classes or more,
5% OFF Term Fees for 3 students enroled in a total of 3 term classes,
10% OFF Term Fees for 3 or more students enroled in a total of 4 term classes or more.
All the info on the 2019 Competition Season for North West Gymnastics.
2019 Competition Information is Currently in Draft and will be released soon. What we know so far:
- 4th – 5th May: Mareeba Invitational (Levels 1-6), Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts,
- 1st – 2nd June: Mackay Invitational (Levels 1-6) , Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts,
- 17th – 18th August: Junior Regionals (Mackay), Recommended for All Level 4-6 Gymnasts,
- 24th – 25th August: Hughenden Invitational, Recommended for all Level 1-3 Gymnasts,
- 21st – 25th September: Junior State Championships, (Qualification required)
- 9th – 10th November: Tropical Townsville Invitational, Recommended for all Gymnasts.
Details on how to order Club Leotards and Attire yourself can be found on our page on Competition Leotards and Attire.
Competition Nominations are generally required 1 month ahead of competitions however please check the closing dates.
North West Gymnastics are excited to have teamed up with Tumble Star for great deals on their products.
We can’t wait for our new air track. It will be great to use for those developing skills such as handsprings for the kids.
Why not check out their range of products at:
We are grateful for the support of 2PH Contracting who in 2018 are generously sponsoring two of our Competitive Athletes.
These girls will travel to competitions including Townsville, Hughenden, Mackay (Regional Championships) and should they qualify State Championships in Brisbane amongst other local and regional competitions.
NWG! How awesome are the Ostojic Group 🤸♀️💕💖
They have offered to sponsor our Kids attendance at the Townsville Competitions this year!!
Providing funding to support our Kids attendance at the 2018 Townsville Winter Cup Competition and the 2018 Tropical Townsville Gymnastics Competition!!
A huge shout of thanks to the Ostojic Group for their Generous Support for our Kids 🤸♀️💕
Next time you are on the road from Darwin to Townsville or even further make sure you give them a wave 👋💖👋
Here you can find various resources for the NWG Competition WAG Routines.
It is important to note that the APL video’s are not always 100% correct and there are a some options on the skills performed in some routines (especially in beam Level 4+) however they do provide the flow of the routines well. Known errors in the video’s are listed at the bottom of this page.
View the WAG Routines on our YouTube here.
Men’s (MAG) Routines are best found via the Gymnastics Australia App at:
Make sure you get the 2018 version! “2018 MAG ALP App“
GA has just released the 2018 routines with some awesome stick figure examples. Search for it on the App Store. Read more “MAG Routine Resources”